Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Origami crane on the brain.

For the next 11 weeks I will be posting one tutorial per week (every Wednesday). There are going to be quite a few talented guest bloggers making an appearance, so don't miss it.

I was never really an origami fan, not a hater either. Just not opinionated. But take away my sewing machine and force me to sit at my office desk from 8:30am till 4:30pm with nothing to do (yes that is correct, there were no kids at school but according to my contract I only have a certain amount of vacation. So there I sat...) And so started my love of origami. 



So here are a few origami crane ideas for you if you haven't had the pleasure of making any.
The origami crane cupcake topper.

1. For these tiny cranes you will need paper blocks, 5cm x 5cm (2" x 2") Click here for free origami paper printables. (if you struggle to find it search for Chiyogami on the link given.)
2. Fold the cranes. Click here: Part 1 (bird base) and Part 2 (crane) for quick video tutorials.
3. Poke a toothpick through the center of the crane, from the bottom. Do not pierce the top of the crane.
4. Place it in your cupcake of choice.

Here is another idea.
A paper crane garland.  
This one is just as easy.
1. Make some cranes. (15cm x 15cm / 6" x 6")

2. Take a needle and thread and thread it through each crane. Use a glue gun and place a small blob of glue under each one to secure them to the thread and keep them in place.

And you are done.

You can even use them as place indicators on your dinner table.

Oh and lastly, the best thing about this new (short lived) hobby of mine was, that I could watch Project Runway while doing it :)

Hope you have fun.
Blessings

Gabi

4 comments:

Sherri B. said...

I have always wanted to make one of those cranes..thanks! xo

Alissa said...

Love this. Fun fact: my mother-in-law made 1,000 (yes a thousand!) paper cranes for our rehearsal dinner. Most of them were made into garlands. We still have some of them in America somewhere!

Enjoy your real vacation - I am still desk-warming :)

Anonymous said...

one thousand paper cranes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadako_and_the_Thousand_Paper_Cranes

Margo Isadora said...

Love your cupcake cranes!

I have made cranes for many years, made 1000 with my grandma for my aunt!

Recently I created a crane tree with friends, brought peace and joy to many at my highschool!


- Margo Isadora